The Season of Advent has Begun!
Hark! This Advent we are going to focus on the messages of the original messengers: Angels.
They appear in our story of Christmas carrying good news of great joy.
That good news often first started with a message, “do not fear.”
This year we are going to be looking at ways we can hold fast to the messages
of hope, love, joy and peace that angels all around us are sharing even today.
Advent and Holiday Schedule
- Blue Christmas - Sunday, December 18 at 6 pm
The holiday season can be a difficult time for those dealing with the loss of a loved one, loss of a job, a difficult diagnosis, or the end of an important relationship. This special worship service is a time set aside for all to come together in community and acknowledge the difficulties so many of us face. In-person only.
- Christmas Eve - Saturday, December 24
- Family Worship at 4 pm - The Christmas Eve Family Worship service features traditional carols, Silent Night by candlelight, a brief message from the pastors, and a presentation by the Chapel Hill Children's Choir. In-person and Livestream. Childcare is available for infants and toddlers in the nursery.
- Lessons and Carols at 8 pm - The 8 pm Worship Service will include Bible readings of the Christmas story, music and carols led by the Chancel Choir and the New Life Team praise band, a message from the pastors, and Silent Night by candlelight. In-person and Livestream. Childcare is available for infants and toddlers in the nursery.
- 11 pm Worship with Communion - Our final worship service for Christmas Eve is a quiet, contemplative time of prayer and song as we center ourselves to welcome the birth of the Christ child. In-person only.
- Christmas Day - Sunday, December 25
While there is no in-person worship on Christmas Day, worship will be available online at 10 am at pchum.org/broadcast.
- New Year's Day - Sunday, January 1
We will have one worship service at 10 am on New Year's Day, both in-person and livestreamed. There will be no Christian Education or small groups that day.
Family Advent Devotional
Click to download a PDF Devotional Booklet for Advent, including prayers and activities for all ages.
Advent Seeds to Branches
Following the nudge of God to partner in doing a new thing always brings challenges. Chapel Hill leaders knew that our vision for updating our properties for emerging ministries and requesting the appointment of Co-Pastors in Jess and Barry was both Spirit-led and challenging. While these changes, and the incredible potential they bring, are exciting, it is important that we all take stock of our commitment to this community of faith, as cash reserves are not meeting the on-going needs of our shared ministries. Advent, those 4 weeks of waiting for the birth of the Christ, offer us all an opportunity to review our financial commitments to Chapel Hill. Make sure your Estimate-of-Giving card is up to date and that, if giving electronically, you have updated your automatic giving, either at pchum.org/give or on your Realm account at onrealm.org/pchum. Our giving is not just financial, yet right now it is important that we all give as we are able, according to the gifts God has given us.
Other Ways To Give this Holiday Season
- When doing your online shopping from Amazon, use Amazon Smile! Go to smile.amazon.com and designate Portage Chapel Hill as your charity of choice. When you use Amazon Smile a portion of all purchases goes right back to Chapel Hill.
- Consider making a financial gift to the Helping Hand Fund or the Every Kid Fund. Both of these funds are available at pchum.org/give. The Helping Hand Fund is used at the discretion of the pastors when folks in the community come to the church seeking financial assistance for things like rent payments or utility bills. The Every Kid Fund is used by the Executive Director of Kaleidoscope Kids Preschool to assist preschool students with tuition scholarships.
- Donate items for Kalamazoo Coalition for the Unhoused. Requested items are hats/gloves/scarves, tents or tarps, blankets or sleeping bags, socks, hand warmers, and pet supplies. A collection box is inside the main entry way of the church.
- New, unwrapped toys can be dropped off at the church for distribution at God's Kitchen's holiday meal on Wednesday, December 21, here at Portage Chapel Hill. Gifts for teens are most needed. Deadline to drop off toys is December 9.
- Give a book for the Haverhill Elementary School library. Take a tag off the "Book Tree" in the church lobby. Each tag has the title of a wished-for book and its author. Purchase the book listed on the tag and place it under the tree by Christmas Eve. Please CLICK HERE to see a full list of the requested books.
This list will be updated as the holiday season continues. Thank you for your generosity!